The year of 2017
Regulations of the 13th Kazan International Festival of Muslim Cinema
I. General Regulations
The 13th Kazan International Muslim Film Festival (hereafter — festival) is non commercial cultural festival, which is held as an annual film festival, the basis of which are the principles reflecting human, spiritual and moral values as well as cultural traditions, supporting the ideas of peacemaking, tolerance and humanity regardless of the nationality and religious affiliation of the authors.
The motto of the festival is “To the dialogue of cultures through the culture of dialogue”. The main aim is the formation of the objective views of the world community about Muslims and Islam, which is the religion of peace, kindness and creation.
The festival has an educational, aesthetic and spiritual mission and has a positive contribution to the development of Russian Culture.
II. The founders and the corporate bodies of the festival
The founders of the festival are
- The Ministry of Culture of theRepublicofTatarstan
- The Council of Muftis ofRussia
- Kazancity Mayor’s office
Venue and Duration
- The venue is Kazan city, Republic of Tatarstan
- Duration is from September the 5th to 11th , 2017.
Administration of the festival is carried out by the following bodies:
- The supreme body of the festival is the organizing committee on preparation and realization. The committee appoints the president of the festival for three years.
- The president of the festival is Mufti Sheikh Ravil Gainutdin, the chairman of the Muftis Council of Russia.
The festival organizers are the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Tatarstan, the Council of Muftis of Russia, and Executive committee of theKazancity municipality, with the participation of the cinematographers’ union of Tatarstan Republic. The executive organization, as defined in the prescribed manner on the basis of competition held by the Ministry of Culture of theRepublicofTatarstan, is the Board of Directors. The Executive Director runs the Board. The Board of Directors realises organizational, financial, material and technical, informational and juridical assurance of all the activities of the festival.
III. Financial backing.
Financial backing is realized by the Ministry of Culture of Russian Federation, Ministry of Culture of theRepublicofTatarstan, Spiritual Board of Muslims of Russia, Kazan city Mayor’s office, sponsors and partners.
IV. Festival Program
The festival program includes Russian and foreign countries films, selected by the Selection Committee.
Festival program includes:
- The main competition:
- Full length feature film
- Short length film
- Program of documentaries:
- Full length documentary
- Short length documentary
- Non competition program
- Feature film
- Films from the Muslim countries, winners of the international film festivals.
Creative meetings, round table discussions, poetic and musical parties, conferences, concerts, honouring of the cinematographers and literary workers, pres-conferences, festival of premiers and amateur films, display of Muslim fashion and etc. are held during the festival.
Films sent to the festival can be shown in the cinema houses of Kazancity during the festival. In order to popularize the ideas of the festival, films, winners of the festival can be shown in the cinema houses of other Russian cities during the special promotion named “Echo of Kazan International Festival of Muslim Cinema”.
V. Conditions to participate in the festival.
Those willing to submit the film for the festival should officially declare to the Board of Directors not later than June 1th, 2017. The selection of the films for the festival is provided by the Selection Committee not later than August 20th, 2017. The program of the films to be shown on the festival is defined by the Board of Directors.Films reflecting human, spiritual and moral values as well as cultural traditions, supporting the ideas of peacemaking, tolerance and humanity regardless of the nationality and religious affiliation of the authors can participate in the program of the festival. Films released not later than 2015 can participate in the competition.
Films of the following formats can be sent for the competitive and non competitive programs. The formats are as follows: DVD, mkv, mp4, avi, dcp. Films selected for the competitive show should be available for the Board of Directors not later than August 1th, 2017. Films return to the owners is guaranteed not later than 30 days after the festival ended.
Fulfilled entry-form for each film proving the participation in the festival must be received by the Board of Directors not later than June 1th, 2017.
Along with the notification of participation the following documents should be sent to the Board of Directors:
- the full text of the film in origin or one of the following languages, either in English or Russian.
- List of subtitles in Russian or in English:
- Libretto (abstract), commercial materials, press materials in Russian or in English.
- Advert video and shot of the films on DVD, mkv, mp4, avi, dcp
- Materials for catalogue in Russian or in English (Information about film makers, photos, photo of the film director, film slides).
Applications for media accreditation are accepted by the Board of Directors strictly up to September 1th, 2017. Fulfilled accreditation forms proving the participation in the festival must be received not later than September 1th, 2017.
All the expenditures connected with the presence of the media agencies representatives are kept by the sending side.
VI. Festival prizes.
- Prize – statuette – for the best full length feature film (awarded to the producer or Director).
- Prize – statuette – for the best animated film (awarded to the producer or Director).
- Prize – statuette – for the best directing of the full length feature film (awarded to the producer or Director).
- Prize – statuette – for the best script of the full length feature film (awarded to the scriptwriter).
- Prize – statuette – for the best cameraman of the full length feature film (awarded to the cameraman).
- Prize – statuette – for the best actor in the full length feature film.
- Prize – statuette – for the best actress in the full length feature film.
- Prize – statuette – for the best short length film (awarded to the producer or Director).
- Prize – statuette – for the best full length documentary (awarded to the producer or Director).
- Prize – statuette – for the best short length documentary (awarded to the producer or Director).
- Prize – statuette – for the best short film in the category «Young Russia», (awarded to the producer or Director).
By the jury’s suggestion the following prizes, for which the nominees are determined by the founders, are awarded:
- Special prize of the president of the Republic of Tatarstan “For the humanism in the cinematography”
- Special Prize of the Council of Muftis of Russia.
- Special Prize of the “Primary Sponsor” of the festival.
VII. The jury.
Competitive programs are evaluated by the jury running in the expert mode. The jury of the festival is compiled from the professionals in the sphere of cinematography. Members of the jury can be film producers, filmmakers, scriptwriters, actors, cameramen, composers, film critics, and many others.
People connected with the production and handing out participating in the festival cannot be members of the jury.
Board of Directors takes over all the expenditures of each member of the jury connected with the travel toKazanand back, accommodation and meals in Kazancity.
The Jury of the cinema press of the Kazan international Muslim film festival awards the prize to any film in the festival program with the formulation at its discretion. The number of the Jury members may vary, but at least there are three members. One representative of the Tatarstan media is necessarily invited to the Jury of the cinema press, the other members of the Jury might be from Russian or foreign media representatives. The statuette and the diploma of the festival in the nomination “The best film according to the opinion of the cinema press” are awarded as a prize.
VIII. Guarantees for the festival participants.
Board of Directors deals with the issue of inviting the participants and the guests and the duration of their presence in the festival personally. The Board gives each invited participants of the festival the following guarantees:
- Free travel in economy class (Moscow-Kazan-Moscow) by railway, airway, meeting at the railway station and the airport of Kazan city, organizing their departure,
- Accommodation in the hotel,
- Three meals a day
- Provision with the information pack including film catalogue, festival program, invitation cards,
- Cultural program including social function for the festival opening and closing ceremonies,
These guarantees are only for:
- one representatives presenting the film in “The full length feature film” program,
- one representative presenting the film in “The short length feature film” program,
- one representative presenting the film in “The documentary film” program,
- one representative presenting the film in “The short documentary film” program,
These guarantees are not for the other people.
The films sent for the selection but not included in the festival program are not returned to the owners.
The Board of Directors organizes centralized delivery and is responsible for the safety of the film copies from the date of receipt and return to the owners.
The Board is not responsible for the safety of the film copies not handed to the Board by the owners or not delivered to the centralized station of the dispatch of the film copies.
The participation in the festival forecasts the maintenance of all the points of these Regulations. In case of the dispute upon the Regulations the Russian version of the text is taken as the basis.
X. National competition
The best 10 films shoot in Tatarstan or with the participation of Tatarstan (co-production) are selected to participate in The National Competition. The National Competition has the status of a program, the winners of which are encouraged by a statuette and competition diplomas with the corresponding name in four nominations: Best Full-Length National Film, Best Short National Film, Best National Film for Children, Best Non-Feature National Film.